6 Sigma Categories
- Six Sigma (General)
- Six Sigma Certification & Training
- Lean Six Sigma
- Six Sigma Implementation
- Six Sigma Specialized (By Industry)
- Green Belt
- Black Belt
- Master Black Belt
- DFSS (Design for Six Sigma)
- Six Sigma Jobs
- Six Sigma History
- Six Sigma News
- Six Sigma Humor
- Six Sigma Book Review
- Six Sigma Terms & Definitions
- Six Sigma Tools & Templates
- Six Sigma Videos
Business & Career Improvement
The DMADV Methodology
Now, the packaging department has a problem on their hands which they are unable to resolve unless their rule books are rewritten. What should the project team evaluate now; DMAIC or DMADV methodology?
What is DMADV Methodology?
The acronym DMADV sounds pretty much similar to DMAIC. The similarity ends after the first three letters DMA.
1. Define: You will define the goals of the project and that of the customers (both internal and external)
2. Measure: Here you will quantify the customer needs as well as the goals of the management
3. Analyze: Analyze the options, existing process to determine the cause of error origination and evaluate corrective measures
4. Design: Design a new process or a corrective step to the existing one to eliminate the error origination that meets the target specification
5. Verify: Verify, by simulation or otherwise, the performance of thus developed design and its ability to meet the target needs
There is a new viewpoint in Six Sigma circles that DMADV is for designing new products and services and that it may not be successful on existing business processes and products. Although the argument is valid to some extent, you would do well to notice that the I of DMAIC is not far removed from the D of DMADV. You can easily say that design is an extended concept of improvement.
Difference Between DMADV And DMAIC
The difference, as one can see now, exists only in the way last two steps are handled. In DMADV, instead of the Improve and Control steps which focuses on readjusting and controlling by one way or other, deals with redesigning the process to fit customer needs.
Can You Use DMAIC In Place Of DMADV?
Let’s simply put it the other way around. You can implement DMADV when you don’t have an existing product, which you are aiming to create from scratch. The second occasion when you can think of using DMADV is when in actual practice, DMAIC hasn’t yielded the result you were looking for despite best efforts to make improvements. In a nutshell, the latter reason can be summarized as: use DMADV when process improvement either fails or doesn’t deliver to your expectations.
There are occasions when planned DMAIC has turned into DMADV ultimately. a Six Sigma Black Belt must take credit for this, in my view, as this reflects their in-depth subject knowledge.
Six Sigma Basics
Six Sigma Videos
- Six Sigma Online Announces Free Six Sigma Certification for a Limited Time
- Get To Know The Six Sigma Belts (Black, Yellow, Green, Master)
- Just Say No to White Belts
- Degrees of Six Sigma Certification
- Reasons to Obtain Six Sigma Black Belt Certification Online
- Six Sigma Black Belts Explained
- Should You Opt for Six Sigma Green Belt Training?
- Six Sigma Black Belt and Six Sigma Green Belt
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
- The Six Sigma Black Belt is Universal for Every Industry